
Mark 10:21 "And Jesus, looking at him, LOVED him, and said to him, "You lack one thing:go, sell all that you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me."
What I love about this verse is that Jesus said this to the man LOVINGLY. He thought he had it all together- "The commandments? I got those... check."
And yet Jesus reveals to Him, again LOVINGLY, that his heart was for earthly treasures, not heavenly.... he didn't have the first commandment down- his heart was not focused on God and his possessions were not yielded to God.
What a great example of Christ rebuking in love. And loving a man in truth.
I think this is one of the most difficult things to do. I am typically one extreme or the other. Either too empathetic, by listening and not speaking truth. Or I get enraged by the sin I see and do not speak with love.
It's also a great verse for reflection, is there an area in my life where I may "lack one thing..."?
aww manders... i love this. i have been reflecting on this verse as well. thinking about tithing... you know, we're called to give 10% and most 'christians' do... but what about selling everything i have to follow christ... am i really willing to give that freezing homeless woman the winter coat off of my back because i know that i could afford another if i had to. it's just so interesting to think that even 10% isn't what it's about... it's more than that, it's everything... know what i mean?
ReplyDeleteYes.I agree completely. We should be having these convos in person not over blogs :(. boo. miss you friend!
ReplyDelete