Hosea 2:14"Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her."
Allure he did. :)
In the book Signature Sins, the author talked about our spiritual journey being a pilgrimage. And that the "quickest roadmap to the place where God is working is through painful wounds that God desires to heal"
This may show an immature faith, but I have always struggled when things go awry.
I become like the older brother in the story of the prodigal son, who questions the father because "haven't I been faithful all along?" As though I am deserving of some special placement or significance.
I struggle when things are messy. When I don't feel that I am deserving of the situation I am in.
Lately though, the Lord has been teaching me that often these messy times are just what is necessary for growth. Prior to this I could say those words hollowly, but with a small voice still echoing questions of doubt. "Why me Lord?"
As most typical American women, I seek comfort and stability.

Perhaps not so much in the "1960 housewife" fashion, but I do love that feeling of home.
Of comfort.
Yet the Lord calls us away from such behaviors. Often those choices, obstacles, and roadblocks that force prioritizing are the most fruitful moments. "God is unchanging in his holiness, but he is not tame and contained. When we begin to think we have God safely figured out, it is time for God to move." Much like a parent backing away from their toddler in hopes that they'll be able to take the next few steps toward their father.
God wants to stretch us, to encourage growth.
I will leave you with these two verses:
Proverbs 20:30
"Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."
Phil. 1:18-19
..." Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance."
so encouraging. thank you amanda!
ReplyDeleteneeded to hear that. thank you so very, very much.
ReplyDelete