Someone introduced me to a lyric that reads (or sings), “She’s a Sarah, a Deborah, Priscilla or Esther. In the wings of the Savior, so she’ll be fly forever.”
Initially my thoughts went to a bad campaign for Christian dating sites...

“Would you like to find a woman as submissive as Sarah? A future wife with the hospitality of Lydia? Well you’ve come to the right place...”
But, I came to appreciate the lyrics, in spite of this ;)
It’s a good reminder to women that we have Esther’s boldness, Hannah’s humbleness, or even Mary’s dependence.
I am prone to feelings of inadequacy when reading about the woman in Proverbs 31, and I tend to relate more to Mary then Martha. So, when I hear that I could be like one of THESE women I am both baffled and skeptical.
Yet, as Francis Chan points out in Forgotten God, we are even more prone to these attributes than patriarchs (or matriarchs) of the Old Testament because we have something they didn’t… the spirit of the living God inside of US.
I have witnessed His spirit turn angry thoughts into merciful prayers, a timid nature into a bold witness, and a doubting, selfish girl into a dependent, trusting woman.
How beautiful to see Him shine.
We cannot and should not desire to transform alone. He is the source of our goodness, and he should receive the glory for it.
When addressing the men of Athens Paul preached, “And he (God) is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.” Or read 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “ My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
I hope this encourages you today, and that you are able to catch glimpses of God transforming you into a Sarah, Deborah, Priscilla, or Esther...
Jesus, please 'Heal my heart and make it clean'. I have soooo far to go. Thank you for this, Loty girl.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm already a Priscilla by default, but I pray that I can truly act like a Priscilla. Love the post!
ReplyDelete