Amanda

Amanda

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ruth

A funny thing happens after you graduate college....
Single friends become "couple friends".
Girl's nights turn into you being a third wheel or awkward blind dates.
And suddenly everyone knows "the perfect person for you".
:)

Oh transitions... I cannot wait to look back and see what all the Lord teaches me during this time. :)

Maybe I'm weird, but the hardest thing about falling into the category of "not married" for me is being at a different place then many people who I hold so dear... not necessarily the married part.

I doubt I am meant to be single for the rest of my life, but if the Lord can use me most effectively that way... so be it (When I'm 35 and single I am going to hate myself for typing this.. haha). :)

But in all seriousness...
I feel as though so many women get caught up in being "proactive at finding a husband"...
And even godly women tend to push this idea of YOU (not God) need to put yourself out there. 
I am just as guilty. The comment, "Oh, the Lord just isn't done preparing you for your husband," has definitely rolled off my lips in an attempt to encourage a struggling sister.

But is that really what we're being prepared for?
Don't get me wrong, the role of being a wife is important... and I am by no means undermining how serious the covenant of marriage is.
It's a big deal. A REALLY big deal.

Buuut... I am here on this earth to glorify Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior.
Not to find a cute husband.

I think that's why I love Ruth so much.
She followed Naomi, she didn't run home to the eligible bachelors who were probably waiting for her in her hometown.
She sought to serve the Lord by loving the woman who had revealed Him to her.
She wasn't concerned that she'd be a foreigner in Naomi's hometown, and not a good candidate for marriage. She just loved Naomi. She wanted to care and serve God in her role as a daughter.

I hope anyone who reads this knows my heart. Singleness is a difficult thing for many.
But, my prayer is that we would be content in the role we have today. That we would pray for fulfillment and a desire to serve the Lord in the role he has given us-not the one we wish we were in.

What a blessing this season of life is. May we use it in a way that brings Him glory.

3 comments:

  1. Love this, Amanda. Such wonderful perspective. I would definitely say the Lord has worked more on me after being married than "preparing me for a husband." Bringing Him glory should be our ultimate goal, married or not! Miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the other comments - great thoughts. I never thought I would hit the "35 and single" mark... sometimes it is great, sometimes it is tough.

    ReplyDelete