Amanda

Amanda

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"What has God been teaching you lately?"

I remember the first time someone asked me this question... I responded with fear and trembling! "I'm not really sure" is what raced through my head... but I'm a Christian- surely that is not an okay response!!

As a newbie I didn't realize the person was not looking for a long, analytical response. God's moving, regardless of if I recognize it at the time or not... the question merely prompts one to reflect and actually recognize Him moving.

I now love that question.
I love asking that question.
I love hearing people respond with what the Lord's doing.

So here is what I have been learning lately:

I am in Oxford, Ohio studying to become a School Psychologist, and yet I know the Lord wills me here and not in Italy or Africa or the Middle East. And though I am in no way discounting the lives of Missionaries- sometimes I envy their situation.

Life here is hard,
Hard because it's so easy.
Easy to jump on the bandwagon that we just need "more".
Easy to get wrapped up in achieving the American dream.
Easy to forget the Lord, because we have it all together.
Easy to forget our brothers and sister who don't have it easy.
Easy to forget our new identity, because our mission field is just life.
Life is easy here.

And yet the Lord warns against those who have it easy and show no concern for the poor, the widows, the needy. The Lord has blessed us, what are we doing with it?

Life is easy. I pray that my heart will be broken for what the Lord's heart breaks for, and that I will use my money, my blessings, for His glory- not my own.

That's what I'm learning... what has God been teaching you lately? :)


1 comment:

  1. wow amanda, you have the most beautiful intuitive heart i know. simply amazing. i have been thinking the same thing... what does it look like to be a follower of jesus in america? it seems harder here... i can see a long conversation between you and i sometime this week. i love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete