Amanda

Amanda

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Love and Grace.

So, language barriers are definitley an issue, especially if you do not catch on quickly...

For the past week and a half, anyone who speaks Italian to me I have said back to them, "Do NOT speak Italian!!!!" When, in fact, I meant to say "I do not speak Italian..." Ooops..
Also, I went to initiate conversation with a group of Italian students and asked them in Italian if they spoke Italian...oops again.

But Rome is AMAZING, the best of both worlds. Its a city.. which I LOVE but everyone is incredibly relaxed and chill... not rushing from place to place.

We have met two groups of Italian Students who are interested in continuing to get to know us and to learn about why we are here\ what we believe.. so please be praying about that. Its been interesting talking to students about "fede" (faith). Most students say they are "catholic" by culture, but that it does not mean much to them and that they do not like the pope or church. When we bring up a relationship with God to the students, most of them do not understand what we mean.... incredibly sad! How so often, do we as individuals, distort what the function of Church is? How can someone raised in a Church have no concept of a relationship with God? It breaks my heart... (I do not mean to direct that comment to Catholic churches, just churches in general)

I just pray that God will use us in the lives of these Italian students and that we will be able to effectivley share the gospel. The opportunity came up to share with some Medical students, but they claimed to believe in "Jesus" as a person, but not God. I had such a heart for them. At one point Anza said that she would like to believe, but just cannot. She said she believes in science. It breaks my heart that she cannot see that science does not disprove God. We discussed somethings with her, and I pray God continues to pursue her and that she seeks answers to some of the questions we brought up...Please pray for her.

Community and fellowship is incredible. Jane (my roomate for the trip!) talked about salvation today and painted such a clear picture.... I am going to share the analogy with all of you!

Okay, so a plane crashes and you are 500 miles from shore. You do not know how to swim. Luckily, along come some people in a boat...

a) One of the people throw you a pamphlet on "how to swim" and tell you good luck swimming to the shore...
b) One of the people jump out of the boat, teach you how to swim... and then once you learn, let you swim to the shore on your own.
c) They let you in the boat, but half way back they realize you have not helped paddle- so they throw you back and make you swim the rest of the way...
d) They let you in the boat and take you safely to shore.

A-C Still involve effort on YOUR part, and therefore you are not truly saved by the resucers.
D You are saved and nothing you do changes that. By the time you are on shore, you are giving all of your thanks to the rescuer. And they are happy to have saved you....

Sound familiar? ,)

Just thought that was cool.

So yeah... Rome is awesome. I seriously want to live here. I have eaten gellato almost every day... need to start cutting back for the 3 weddings im in when i get back... may not be fitting in my bridesmaid dresses, lol.

Love you all.. will write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment