Amanda

Amanda

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cultural Barriers...

2 Kings 13:4 is what God used to comfort and speak to me today... "Then Jehoahaz SOUGHT the Lords favor, and the Lord listened to him, for he saw how severely the King of Aram was oppressing Israel."

Last Friday, on our way to Ostia (Swim in the Terranian Sea) we were on a subway. Two little girls were with an older woman (assuming their mother) and they were begging for money. When I say little, I mean LITTLE. Girls who should be playing with barbies and learning their alphabet. I have never so badly wished to steal little girls from their environment. How unfair, why should they have that upbringing? I imagined them growing up one day and remembering that when they were little their mama used them to get money. I said a short prayer and was torn up about it for a little bit...

However, a few hours later I was swimming in the terranian sea, and those girls were far from my mind. Later, having a quiet time on the beach... I was reminded of those sweet girls. The anger, frustration, and broken heartedness returned.

A few days ago on campus we were talking with an Italian girl about God. She told us that the Pope, Church, and God were one in the same. If you dont like the Pope, you are an atheist in Rome. Some background: in Italy the Pope is not just a religious figure, but also interrelated with Politics. So, lets say you dont agree with his stance on a political issue... you then have the choice to accept what he thinks, or turn from the church altogether. Its not like in America where you could believe in God, and then decide politics separately. We shared with her verses from the bible about Gods love and forgiveness, about Jesus dying for her... she said she had never heard of such a thing. When we told her about Agape (an organization that allows people to discuss spiritual things and the bible) She looked at us in disbelief. "It is impossible here in Rome to do what you are saying, impossible. You agree with the Pope or you do not believe in God."

Another moment of heartbreak....

God is soverign, and in control. I believe that, but at that moment I was broken. "God, surely you are here... why do they not see?" "Where is THEIR hope?" "How can change happen here... for the oppressed little girls, college students searching for truth, and the beggar who comes to our coffee shop each morning... ?"

So, when I read this morning 2 Kings 13:4 I was reminded of Gods power. His ability, his strength... Not that its enough to pray and not move as God reveals to us... but that I can only be effective if FIRST I am seeking God and THEN being an advocate for those who are in need of hope, of change...

God has also been convicting me of my financial situation "Where your treasure is there your heart is also." I pray that God will continue teaching me in this area and show me how to best use the resources he has blessed me with.

These are my thoughts... we leave in two days. Be praying for the rest of our time here. Love you all.

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up in reading your posts. Sounds like he's doing great things in your life. What can i say but that God is good!! And he's so patient with us....When do you get back to the states?

    ReplyDelete